The oldest digital native I know is the ICT technician at my old school. He is 35 and in Prensky's theory should be classes as a digital immigrant he knows far more about technology and computers than anyone I know my age or any other digital native my age. Aswell as knowing how to fix problems wit computers he also spoke the digital language. He used msn messenger and had an account on Facebook aswell a being very familiar with email as if you had any problems you just had to email him and he would sort them out for you.
Even though growing up in the new age of technology I do not feel I know more about technology than immigrants I think it depends how often you use technology and how interested you are in it to how often you use it as there are people my age who do not know how to use a computer.
Even on our course the lecturers know more about the technology than we do and they do not fall into the digital native category. However we would not know ow to use any of the technology or equipment and software we use if they had not shown us to so they do not fit Presnky's theory of digital immigrants and digital immigration.
Saturday, 21 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Another post I completely agree on Laura. For mine I wrote about an IT technician also, and I think its wrong to presume people who are older than the typical "digital native" group are less able to work computers and know about technology, as in many cases I find older people much more experienced with the work, as athough they werent born into a digital world, they grew up with technology.
ReplyDeleteYes, if Prensky's point was simply about digital knowledge, it wouldn't stand cursory investigation would it?
ReplyDeleteHowever, his point is slightly different,he says that kids who are immersed in computer games etc pick up how to use/understand digital technology easily and are attracted to these technologies at the expense of 'traditional' ways of doing things. He says that it's easier for 'natives' than it can ever be for 'immigrants' because immigrants think differently to natives.
I agree with you that this leaves aside the question of 'immersion'. If someone becomes very involved with digital technology for the last 20yrs, are they really much different from someone who is 20yrs old and into the technology? Prensky says "yes, they still have an 'accent'".